Tangible Prototyping

Assigned Reading

This week’s assigned reading was all about the process behind prototype testing. I really learned a lot from this resource that I did not know before about the development/testing stages of a product build. One that that stuck out to me is three important use cases I need to be looking out for when I observe participants: “the user got through the task with no problem at all and no help; the user struggled and moaned a bit but he eventually got through it; he got so frustrated he gave up.”

Each of these categories provide valuable insight into understanding how a given test subject interacts with the product we created. In our case, with our steering wheel assist tool, we will be closely monitoring our test subjects in a closed environment (parking lot) to observe the way they install and use the tool. It was helpful to understand more insights behind testing.

Class Reflection

In class this week, we finally  started printing actual prototypes of our steering assist tool – it was awesome to actually hold our idea in our hands. We have 5 pieces of the total project we need to print out:
1. Bushing (printed)
2. Screw (printed)
3. Handle Attachment 1 (printed, in the lab)
4. Bracket (printed, in the lab)
5. Handle Attachment 2 (need to print)
We are excited with our progress so far. Here is what the screw looks like. We were surprised by just how strong this screw actually was. After printing this prototype, we realized we will likely need to extend the length of this screw a little longer to accommodate our handle attachments.
Furthermore, we were able to print the bushing that will serve to tighten the bracket that attaches to the steering wheel. The interesting thing about the bushing is the way that it bends when it is compressed, rather than staying rigid. This will allow the screw to secure into place without cracking under the pressure.
When we come back into the lab, we plan on assembling all the parts we have on hand. We will likely need to make slight modifications to the steering wheel attachments, and start prototype testing as soon as we are able to! We are looking forward to seeing how our steering assist tool will actually function in a testing environment. Can’t wait to get back into the lab this week to continue prototyping.

2 thoughts on “Tangible Prototyping”

1. Hi Ajie-

You guys are super organized! It is interesting to see how actually printing something out and holding it in your hand can cause you to reconsider your process or material. I can’t wait to see your final product come together!

2. Hey Ajie – I loved seeing the actual prototype in class last week! I was surprised at how thick the screw was, but I guess that is optimal when you’re trying to minimize breakage and distribute the stress more evenly. Thanks for including the bit on user prototype testing – that’s something I think I’ve forgotten a bit about! I’ve been so intent on getting our prototype working, that I forgot that I also need to be worried about the potential users and how hard my product will be to use.