Fab Lab: Sewing Machine Creations

What?

This week we were back in the Fab Lab. We rotated projects; my task was to print a design on a piece of cloth for the top of my wooden box. I expected this to be similar to my project last week, but I thought it was more challenging. We were introduced to a software that allows you to create designs such as shapes, symbols, letters, initials, and import your own photo. I thought this software was more complicated than what we used to design the wooden box. I imported a picture and struggled with manipulating it how I wanted too. The picture I chose was a converse shoe and we had to cut holes in areas for the LD lights. The teacher had to help me with creating these holes. I learned that these software’s are extremely delicate. I had to work very slowly to make sure I did not change something. They can focus in on minor details too. For example, I was able to add small shoelaces to my design that did not show up before.

The printing process was quick and accurate. We had to set up the machine, which required a lot of different loops and steps. Once the machine started working it was awesome to watch. The needle works really hard to thread a solid color. My shoe looked really big on the computer screen, but turned out smaller than expected. It is important to pay attention the measurements. Overall, I am happy with my sewed cloth design.

So What?

These past two weeks at the Fab Lab are relatable to my professional experience. The software’s at the Fab Lab were foreign to me at the beginning, but I took time to understand different concepts. I failed a lot designing at the Fab Lab, but I learned from my mistakes and changed moving forward. Next year starting a new job, I will be challenged and I will fail. Adapting from these obstacles and working hard to improve will allow me to grow. This is what I saw in the Fab Lab too. The Fab Lab and at your first job it is important to be persistent and patient with yourself.

Now What?

The Fab Lab has made me more confident in testing out new software’s and technology. Technology can be very intimidating and steer people away. I noticed how it is possible to teach yourself rules and tools on the computer. I will avoid asking so many questions and using trial and error. I am excited to see what we are learning at our final week in the Fab Lab. I know I will be prepared to take on the challenges.

3 thoughts on “Fab Lab: Sewing Machine Creations”

1. Hey Bridget,

I completely agree that the embroidery section is harder than the laser cutting. My thread was constantly getting stuck in the machine! I also agree that the software was more complicated than Inkscape. I think your shoe looks super cool though! I am excited to see it all come to life once it is added to the box!

2. Hi Bridget,

I enjoyed reading about your experience with the digital embroidery machines– I also found the embroidery workshop to be more challenging than the laser cutting workshop! I made so many mistakes in the process of making my design, but as you rightly said, it’s all part of the learning process. Prior to this class, I don’t think I would’ve had the confidence to try my hand at different types of software/technological applications, but I think I’ve slowly been adopting the maker mindset over time, and I’m becoming more comfortable as a result.

3. Hi Bridget,
    Your shoe design looks awesome! I completely agree with you that the machines are incredible in creating solid colors and making the stitches come together so nicely. Additionally, I was also surprised by how small my design turned out to be. On the computer screen they appear to be so large, which encourages me to scale it down more in an effort to be sure that I do not exceed the boundaries. My takeaway from this is in the future I will be sure to get a better grasp of the physical-world to computer-screen measurement ratios so my designs can better reflect how I intend them to be.
    -Scott Provenzano