A Look at 3D Printing In the News

I was not in class this week due to a stomach bug from which I am now recovered. Because I cannot personally attest to the design audit and assembly experience, I am going to give a brief summary of my group’s progress before sharing a couple of articles of interest.

My team, the Animakers, made some great progress on our steering wheel attachment device. Ajie and Jason were able to complete the printing of multiple versions of our initial design and successfully formed the base of the product. Initial photos of the designs look great – I’m excited to finish up the rest of the project in the coming days and thoroughly test out the device.

In The News

http://fortune.com/2018/04/22/3d-printed-homes/

This article on fortune.com presents yet another possibly groundbreaking opportunity for 3D printing in a new industry: construction. A home is a place that everyone wants to make their own – customization is the name of the game. 3D printing might make for a natural fit in this industry because it would be much cheaper and faster than home construction today. This company may be on to something.

The next article is quite different, which speaks to the versatility of 3D printing. The United States Army is looking to print soft robots that can easily make their way through the tightest cracks as stealthily as possible. The idea of octopi has long intrigued the robotics industry for the potential of creating desired, unconventional movements. You can learn more in the article below.

The Army is building 3D-printed soft robots

2 thoughts on “A Look at 3D Printing In the News”

1. Hi Jake! Both of these articles were great reads! I especially enjoyed the one about construction, especially in our homes. Like you said, customization is what everyone wants right now, and that is something that makes 3D printing so special. Finding more things to customize will only take the 3D printing world so much more popular.

2. Jake,

Sorry to hear you were not doing well last week. Me and Jason missed you! But we are also excited to show you the progress we have made last week.

This is a fascinating article. I can’t imagine the implications this may have for war/international relations if it began to become weaponized to print out custom-built robots.

Thanks for sharing this post!