Creating my Wooden Box

This week in class, we returned to the Fab Lab. Last week, I was taught how to use an embroidery machine and I used it to create a colorful skyline of Chicago. For my box, I decided to stick with a Chicago theme so that it would match up well. I chose to do another skyline etching on the bottom, although it probably won’t get seen very often. For the sides, I chose symbols of Chicago Sports teams. I have a Bulls symbol, a Cubs symbol, a Bears Symbol and a Blackhawks symbol. I liked that with the wood working, we were not as restricted with what the etcher could do as we were when we were using the embroidery machine. The embroidery machine was a little more testy, so I wasn’t able to print my initial idea (a complicated celtic knot) and switched to the skyline instead. If I were to do it over again, I think I would have tried harder to find a celtic knot that would work.

I really enjoyed working with Clinton this week. He went really slowly with us, and made sure no one was getting lost. It was interesting to hear him talk about the differences in teaching camps or classes to kids versus teaching to older people (sometimes senior groups will come in for classes). He said that, surprisingly, the kids aren’t that great at using the technology that the Fab Lab has. We assumed they would be much better than the senior citizens, since kids are now growing up using their parents phones and tablets all the time. Clinton explained that yes, while this is true, kids these days aren’t really being taught to use computer mice at all, which is the main problem he thinks.

Once the machine for cutting and etching the box was fired up, it was awesome to see how the process actually happened. I was shocked that there were actual sparks and little flames that happened when the laser hit the wood. I couldn’t believe that the wood was not set on fire! I asked Clinton if that’s ever happened, but thankfully he said no. The wood machine definitely took longer than I thought it would, and there was only the one machine, so I wasn’t able to see the pieces of my box get made. I have, however, attached a video of a box being made that’s actually fairly similar to mine- a Bulls symbol and all!

2 thoughts on “Creating my Wooden Box”

1. Hi Shayna! I like your idea of the Chicago themed box, and I’m excited to see how it turns out next week, especially since I wasn’t here last week and was not able to make an embroidery patch that matches my box. I was also intrigued by how the laser machine worked and couldn’t take my eyes away as I watched it etch my ideas onto the wood!

2. Hey Shayna! I really like how your box is turning out! I like the embroidery of a colorful skyline a lot as well as the overall Chicago theme.

As far as the kids learning goes, I think that the technology is just too advanced for them.