Getting Creative in the Fab Lab

In class this week, we had the opportunity to spend time in the Fab Lab. I did not know what to expect, but this class period was extremely fun and educational. There are art projects in every corner of the Fab Lab. The environment promoted creative and expressive learning. It was a space that I felt very comfortable. Jeff Ginger gave us an entire tour and showed some projects that were made in the Fab Lab. He showed us a backpack that lit up as turn signals to help kids be safe riding bikes. It was an extremely impressive idea and I think it could be very helpful. Overall, my first introduction to the Fab Lab was successful.

We split into groups and I was given the assignment to create a wooden box. We were given the freedom to pick our own designs; this was a time for us to put our creative ideas to work. We created the dimensions of the box then imported it into Inkscape. This platform allowed us to design and shape our box. I thought it was confusing to navigate and I kept missing a step. These tools take time to get the hang of and a lot of practice. Our teacher, Clinton, was very patient and helpful walking us through the steps. I put a mountain range, globe, “lookin good”, and a sea horse on my box. Printing the box is what was really impressive.

The laser cutter was extremely accurate and detailed. It printed every little piece of the image. It was so cool watching it move and carve. Sometimes the laser would catch on fire, but quickly go out. Clinton told us it was important to monitor the printer because it can easily start a fire. My box turned out perfect; accept some of my pictures were upside down. This was definitely an experiment that I really enjoyed. I am looking forward to returning to the Fab Lab next week.

Check out this article I found that talks more about laser cutting. I have never done a project like this before, but it turns out that there was a lot of information on it. You can do many different projects with a laser-cutting printer. The article talks about how it allows products to reach markets quickly on a lower cost. This could be a great tool for the future and a way for companies to save money.

https://www.manufacturingtomorrow.com/article/2017/11/the-benefits-of-laser-cutting-to-the-design-for-manufacturing-process/10581

3 thoughts on “Getting Creative in the Fab Lab”

1. I also thought the FabLab tour was impressive. Resources like this should be more well known around campus. I’m happy with the experience but disappointed that I won’t be around next semester to experiment in the lab outside of class. My favorite feature of the laser cutter machine is its cabability to seamlessly switch laser modes. The machine engraved and cut my box in the same print.

2. Hi Bridget,
    Reading your post made me really excited to go back to class and try my hand at laser cutting. I think I’m most interested to see exactly how the laser works because that is not something that regular people get to see in their day to day lives. I also enjoyed reading the article you shared as I did not know how much laser cutting could do.

3. “The laser cutter was extremely accurate and detailed. It printed every little piece of the image.”

Hey Bridget! It’s cool to hear how accurate the laser cutter was. Considering it has similar technology to 3D printers, I wasn’t sure what the quality would be like! We’ve talked a lot about how 3D printers can be really finicky and sometimes print incorrectly. I’m glad to know the laser cutter is precise. I hope I can make a box this week!