Jeff Ginger and Fablab’s Mission

It was a pleasure to learn from Jeff Ginger in class this past week. His enthusiasm for 3D printing, and what it can teach us, are unmatched in any previous conversation I have had on the subject. In my eyes, Jeff presented 3D printing in a light akin to some of the topics discussed in “The Maker Mindset” article. The purpose of the Fablab, as Jeff noted, is to give access to 3D printing (and its capabilities) to the public for the greater good. Jeff linked this concept to that of a library – a free and open space from which to learn from an endless list of subjects. Most notably, Jeff talked about how there really isn’t a way for 3D printing (as an activity) to make money off of itself. That is to say, there is no sense in buying a 3D printer and then charging users of that printer large sums just to be able to use it. The idea is that for 3D printing to work, we need people to discover the endless possibilities that the subject can offer. In order to get those people to discover those possibilities, the space of 3D printing must be as free and open as our libraries. The way it gets paid forward is through the learning and advances made in the labs. Ideally, someone invents a product in the lab and then use the money to build another Fablab for the next person to discover the endless possibilities of 3D printing.

In class, we worked a little bit with Tinkercad – I can tell based on the ease of use of the application that this will be a great tool for us to discover our 3D printing creativity. I haven’t had the opportunity to see our team’s logo yet, but am excited to do so on Wednesday in class. Finger’s crossed that it went well!

In the news, I found an interesting article on how 3D printing has disrupted the architecture and design industry (https://newatlas.com/3d-printing-housing-architecture/53083/).

Within the article, I found several amazing pieces of 3D printed art

The article discusses the fourth industrial revolution and the internet of things at length. Most notably, the author believes that 3D printing will change the way we think about buildings as unchangeable objects, in allowing us to permeate the way objects react to external factors such as the weather. These are exciting times in the world of architecture.

One thought on “Jeff Ginger and Fablab’s Mission”

1. Hi Jake,

Wow! The pieces of 3D art you incorporated caught my eye straight away! It is amazing that something so breathtaking can be created from this new wave of digital making. I wonder how such enormous pieces of artwork are put together- are they glued, screwed together, or what? Either way, I’m so happy that you included these in your post, so that I was able to see them!