From Fixed to Growth Mindsets: 3D Printing

Hi everyone!

My name is Bridget and I am looking forward to this class. I think it will be unlike any other class I have taken because of the high tech material we are discussing, specifically 3D printing. I am eager to learn more about 3D printing and eventually be able to print my own items. Our class project will be a great way for us to hands on learn and be creative. I think technology can be very intimidating, but after two sessions of class I feel more confident understanding the concepts. The future of technology is scary, but this class will prepare me for all the possibilities that will come in the world and my career.

Takeaways:

“The Maker Mindset” article stood out to me the most. It made a bold point about the education system and how 3D printing can positively influence students. 3D printing allows a growth mindset for kids who thrive in an environment of creativity. Currently, our education system is a fixed mindset that believes our capabilities are set and we need to excel academically. With the current technology trends, it is obvious that people who think more abstractly are succeeding. This is called a growth mindset. It makes me have hope for the future direction of our society knowing that kids are adopting the maker mindset; a can-do attitude.

The “How to Make Almost Anything” article used a microwave as an analogy to 3D printing. It said that microwaves did not replace a kitchen they are just convenient and an addition to cooking. This made a lot of sense to me. I interpreted it as 3D printing will not take over the world, but it will guide us in another direction to be more creative with ideas and develop future innovations. Knowing all the possibilities 3D printing has to offer is exciting. I am most interested to learn about how it can help mankind with health care. For example, John Hornick explained that doctors were able to print a miniature heart. I found that fascinating because 3D printing could change the future of medicine and save lives.

Design 1: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2773219

This is multi-use cord holder would be great for students living in dorms or apartments because it helps organize cords. As a student, I feel like I have extension cords all over my room and it would be useful to attach them to a holder. Also, my roommate just got a puppy that loves chewing on everything. This would help keep the cords out of the way. I would add four screw holes to the rectangle to ensure that it holds the cords into the wall.

Design 2: https://www.shapeways.com/product/NT9URUCJ4/earpod-attachments-for-active-people?optionId=43788262&li=marketplace

These are ear pod attachments that help keep headphones in your ear. I would use these everyday for working out, walking to class, homework etc. I think they are a practicable item. What I like about the design is that they are inside your ear. I have used some before that wrap around your ear, which is uncomfortable. These look slick and innovative. From the picture they do not appear too secure, if that were true I would work with this prototype to make them secure and comfortable for the consumer.

Design 3: https://www.shapeways.com/product/JQ6B2VWEG/padfoot-stand-for-ipad-1?optionId=1692859&li=marketplace

This is a very innovative product for an IPad. I constantly have the problem of holding my IPad with my hands or a chunky stand. I remember being on an airplane trying to stand my IPad and the tray area was too small for the stand. High schools would benefit from these stands because a lot of students use IPads and this way they can use it as a laptop in class. If possible, I would connect the piece to the IPad from the back. This would make it even more discrete.

Design 4: https://www.shapeways.com/product/56XNYUS4R/finger-fork-by-j-c-karich?optionId=9747450&li=marketplace

This product is so cool! As a student, I always take lunches to go and I am constantly looking for utensils to eat my food with in class. In the morning when I am in a rush I take a silver utensil, which is a huge pain. This finger fork is small and silly, but would help the environment because it reduces the usage of plastic utensils. I could throw it in my bag and be able to reuse it. I like to bring a yogurt to class, so a spoon would be another good idea.

2 thoughts on “From Fixed to Growth Mindsets: 3D Printing”

1. Nice post Bridget. The semester is off to a great start and I’m excited to see what else the Maker Lab has in store. A part of the Maker Mindset article about a fixed mindset in the current education system especially resonated with me. Looking back on my college career I now notice a certain level of fixed learning in my campus sphere. Learning seems to be measured by how much you can memorize and regurgitate from lecture notes instead of solving the real world’s problems. I believe too often students aren’t sufficiently challenged to explore classroom concepts in real-world applications.

2. Hi Bridget,

Thanks for sharing your reflections on this past week! I really resonated with your ideas on the maker mindset– I was inspired to read more about how the 3D printing movement is so closely intertwined with stimulating creativity and a “can-do” spirit within students across the globe. As the technology becomes more sophisticated and accessible, we will only have the opportunity to be even more creative with our applications of 3D printing and problem solving, so it is important to create a strong culture based on the growth mindset.