Scanning, Printing, and Prototyping

This week in class, we started learning how to scan items- including people- to use for 3D printing. However, the data for the scan that is collected can be used for any number of things on top of simply recreating what’s actually there. The data can be edited to adjust things that the user might want. This is why scanning can be really helpful for prototyping. After making an initial prototype, a scan can be taken, things can be edited using software like meshmixer, and a new and improved prototype can be printed.

The videos on reverse engineering and USF’s printing capabilities also demonstrated important ways that scanning can be important in prototyping as well. The Jay Leno’s garage video, especially, was interesting to me because it was clearly such a useful task that the autodesk man was able to provide and because the way he made the edits was so seamless and easy. The fact that we live in a world where these seemingly complex tasks can be made so simple is amazing to me.

In class, we got to actually scan and print ourselves. Even though it took a couple tries due to apps trying to charge us a lot of money for the data, the end result was very rewarding. I’m not exactly sure what I could possibly use a bust of myself for, but the resemblance is just uncanny. I showed my friends and family and, although they think the bust is actually really creepy (which is definitely true), they all agreed that it was a perfect plastic copy of my face. The printing took a long time, but I’m pleased with the end result. Here you can view videos of my scan printing, of Scott taking a scan of Helen with the iPad, and a picture of the scanning process as well.

Other than the scanning section of class, our group met again and discussed where we want to go with our project. The tough part, we realized, is going to be attaching not one, but two Passive Infrared Sensors to the Arduino and the beadboard; every instructible and article we can find about how to make a people counter only instructs how to attach one sensor or one button. We are working with the code and the wires to see if we can get it to work, but our first prototype may end up not being able to add and subtract people from a room or building.

2 thoughts on “Scanning, Printing, and Prototyping”

1. Hey Shayna! Every week when I submit, it seems you and Scott are some of the only one’s who have submitted as well! So that’s why I always end up commenting on your posts. 🙂 I like reading about the class and our project from your perspective – I actually forgot about the Jay Leno video until you mentioned it! But I liked this class a lot – we were up and out of our seats and it was exciting to learn how to scan.

2. Hi Shayna,
    I also found the Jay Leno’s garage video to be very interesting. I think the coolest part about it was that the car part that was being scanned would most likely cost so much money to get replaced the old-fashioned way (contacting the company and having them produce the part again). The simplicity of scanning the object and then printing it at a relatively low cost goes to show how high the demand for this technology may be someday. We are consistently being told that we need to lower costs while boosting productivity–and I feel like 3D printing will make great strides in this direction (once the process gets a bit speedier!).
    -Scott Provenzano