Week 8 Reflection

Week two at the UIUC FabLab was constructive and entertaining. When I arrived, I retrieved my laser cut box. The box says “The Force will be with you, always” a quote from Obi-Wan Kenobi in Star Wars Episode 4: A New Hope. On the bottom of the box, there’s a large Rebel logo. I was able to fasten my box together without any glue, meaning the cuts were precise enough to allow for a friction-fit. I was impressed with my craftsmanship, despite the skinny balsa-like wood.

After retrieving our boxes, we worked with Duncan to create an embroidery pattern. We used a program called PE Design that resembled Adobe Illustrator. Duncan taught us how to use the basic functions of PE Design before we got a chance to delve into our own project. Duncan helped me find a proper silhouette of an X-Wing fighter, also from the Star Wars universe. Duncan counseled me with adding an area to insert my LEDs next week. I ended up removing the front of the X-Wing’s rocket boosters, which I will replace with white or red lights on Wednesday. Duncan encouraged me to add more to my design, but I was quite content with just a simplistic X-Wing design. I explored adding an Imperial logo, but I decided it did not fit with my vision of the finished project. As much as I like my embroidery, I do not think I will end up using a box with a cloth on it for anything. I prefer ergonomics over aesthetics and I do not need the art project for anything. I’d rather use the box for storage of coins, keys, and other knick-knacks. When I return home for Spring Break, I plan on giving my box and embroidery to my little cousin, the biggest Star Wars fan I know.

Not only has laser cutting been used in industrial manufacturing, it has found a second wind in art projects. Laser cutting allows the artist to make very precise impressions that a human could not perform. I checked etsy.com to see what designs are being sold on the internet. Many of the exquisite designs can cost over a hundred dollars, but many small projects can be purchased for well under a hundred. Many artists made laser cut skylines, maps, and geometric designs. If given another opportunity to make a laser cut art project, I would likely have the skylines and maps of Chicago and Washington, D.C., my two favorite cities.

3 thoughts on “Week 8 Reflection”

1. Hi Jason,
    I think you have one of the coolest designs. I am a huge Star Wars fan and I’m kicking myself for not thinking of making a Star Wars themed box. I also like how you have already thought about where you could put LED lights into your design and it should turn out amazing. Hopefully I find a good place to put LEDs in my design

2. Hey Jason,
    I really like your box design and passion for its creation. I wish I had done something a bit more thematic with my design as I kind of just picked a series of logos and designs that I identify with. Looking at yours, it would definitely have been cool to go with one design theme and have a more fluid design. Last week, I replied to your post saying I was excited to see how the box turned out and it is safe to say you did not disappoint!

3. Hey Jason! Thanks for the great recap of the week. I enjoyed reading about your box as I wasn’t able to make one when I was sick the first week.

Your X-Wing turned out really well – my design got a little messed up because my thread got caught and the design continued to print off-center. I like the idea of using lights in place of the sewn rocket boosters.

I’m pretty sure my favorite bookmark of the Seattle skyline (the best city in the world!) is laser-cut. Having a laser-cutter is probably very useful to many artists for getting precise designs onto different materials.