Week 2 Reflection

The potential of 3D printing is bound only by the creativity of the user. Wednesday’s class taught me to broaden my horizons and open my mind to the endless possibilities that 3D printing creates. Before entering BADM 395, I thought 3D printing was an esoteric technology that would take at least five years to develop into maturity. I now understand that the speed and ubiquity of 3D printed technology is accelerating and has passed its early adopter phase. I hope to implement 3D printing to fix important issues in our society.

My first takeaway from BADM 395 came from guest speaker Arielle Rausin. Rausin’s use of 3D printing to develop form-fitting wheelchair racing gloves opened my mind to the various uses of the technology. If 3D printing can be used to help disabled racers, could it also be used in prosthetics for amputees? Or braces from those suffering from spina bifida? Those most disadvantaged in our society could reap the most benefits from 3D printed tools.

In the article “The Maker Mindset,” Dale Dougherty makes a compelling case that 3D printing technology should be taught in schools to prepare children for the impending technological shift. While adults can become rigid and complacent, children tend to think outside the box and have a propensity to learn. Because of this, children have a growth mindset, meaning impediments are perceived as opportunities to learn and problem solve. Being in the maker mindset requires you to expand your possibilities as you expand your knowledge.

At first, I was pensive about the futuristic notion purported by John Hornick in “Zero Marginal Cost.” The idea of truly reaching zero marginal cost has serious implications for the field of economics and could lead to an economic catastrophe if not well-planned. Just as horse labor became obsolete with the progression of the internal combustion engine, will humans face the same fate with the progression of 3D printing? Or will humans create new jobs to occupy us in the post-zero marginal cost world?

I found 4 interesting objects on Thingiverse that peaked my interest.

1. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1385312

This 3D printed marble machine by Tulio interested me because of my love of marble tracks. I used to build elaborate marble tracks in my basement when I was a kid, complete with jumps and an elevator. I have an extensive collection of marbles at home I would love to send down this marble machine.

1. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:36321

This 3D printed earbud wrap would help me reduce the clutter of my room. I have far too many earbud cords and power cords congesting my living room. With proper cord management, however, I can eliminate this problem.

1. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2545456

This 3D printed sunglasses holder would improve the safety of my car. When I return home, I often forget to bring a pair of sunglasses with me to drive, compromising my vision. If I had this holder, I could eliminate one potential hazard of driving.

1. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2369887

This 3D printed Pokémon Chess set is by far the most intriguing item to me. I have had a profound love for both Pokémon and chess since I was 4 years old, but never had a way to couple them. This Generation 1 based chess set is the most unique chess set I have ever seen.

3 thoughts on “Week 2 Reflection”

1. I have also been thinking a lot about the points that were brought up by John Hornick during his presentation. I am curious to see how 3D printing will effect our production levels and whether or not certain things will become obsolete. I was also intrigued by how children tend to think more outside the box and challenge the way things are used. I enjoyed all the things you are interested in making, especially the earbud holder.

2. Hey Jason,
    I like how you chose a good mix of useful and fun items to potentially print. I haven’t thought about marble runs for years, but that used to be one of my favorite things to build as well! I had a huge set of various sized and shaped tubes to connect together and make different paths for the marbles. It’s great that someone actually thought to print it. I’d be careful with the size when printing this though because when I went to the thingiverse link, there’s a picture of this marble run on someone’s finger (a micro version I assume) which if you’re expecting a full sized version would be pretty disappointing. The Pokemon chess set is also incredibly unique, again reminding me of how incredibly 3D printing technology is that you can completely customize a game as old as chess to include your favorite characters. The possibilities are endless!

3. Jason,
    I really like the item you posted for headphones. I love listening to music, and often deal with tangled headphones. The beauty of 3D printing something so practical, is that you can simply make another when that inevitably gets lost (at least I personally misplace small items like that all the time). This addresses your other point about the potential blow to the economy that could take place should we reach or come close to zero marginal cost. With every new technology, many only look to the positive externalities it can create. But we should also always consider the negatives.