Genesis

Genesis is the first book of the Bible, covering the Christian creation account. In it, God speaks into the darkness, and brings something from nothing.  I too, this semester, plan to bring forth things from nothing in this course. The advent of 3D printing truly symbolizes the 4th major revolution in human history; I look forward to joining this movement and becoming an avid maker. A little about myself – I consider myself a content creator – music, photography, videography – but I look forward to entering into the physical realm!

Takeaways

In class this past week, we had a guest lecturer discuss the implications of 3D printing changing the world as we know it. I found it incredibly insightful – hearing John Hornick’s ideas about the future of ‘prosumerism’ really shifted my paradigm about being a maker. I learned that 3D printing is far more than printing face models and paper weights – in reality, people are printing human organs, jet engines, and entire cars! What interested me the most about what he said was regarding the unregulated nature of 3D intellectual property. In the assigned reading for class, I read about the theorized dangers of 3D printing for the masses. British scientists theorized about the ‘gray goo’ – a nefarious name for a mass of self-replicating robots capable of consuming all biomass on Earth.

It seems like something out of a sci-fi movie – but with the rate that artificial intelligence is growing, along with the growing ubiquitousness and complexity of personal 3D printing – it makes me wonder how far-fetched this idea really is. Consider Cody Wilson, a law student who released blueprints for a 3D-printed plastic pistol called “The Liberator” in 2013. When he did this, there were over 100,000 downloads of this actual weapon – capable of shooting actual bullets! It makes me wonder what measures we should be taking to protect 3D-printing technologies from not getting into the wrong hands.

Luckily, we won’t be printing any weapons this semester in class. Rather, I look forward to understanding the methodologies and practices behind creative design and bringing my thoughts to life! Something out of nothing!

Everyday Objects

I accessed the popular online design database, Thingiverse, to discover some potential projects to make. They are detailed below:

1. Canon Lens Hood (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:36284)

As a photographer, I’m naturally interested in practical photography accessories. I would definitely explore this lens hood design for my Canon T5. To improve on it, I would explore integrating an actual lens cap into the lens hood itself, so I can be confident I can protect my lens if I leave for a quick shoot.

2. Flash Stand (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:9534)

I would also look into creating this simple flash stand! People always underestimate the value of external flashes during a big photoshoot – but setting up flashes is the most difficult part! Being able to print these en masse would make life much easier. I would see if I could modify this design to attach it other accessories like Speedlites or diffusers.

3. Ring Lamp (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:480042)

A ring lamp is an essential tool to create epic videography scenes. This would require a lot more work (buying and wiring the LEDs), but offers the ability to customize the ring lamp for any custom lens I own. This would be a great addition – but a lot more labor and fabrication intensive. Learning opportunity!

4. Canon 5D Model (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:29662)

This last design has no particular utility – but would be a great addition to my desk, or as a gift to a fellow hobbyist. This body is a classic and recognizable design – I would modify it by adding some degree of personalization – perhaps a custom monogram on the lens cap!

Signing Off

I learned an unbelievable amount in only 2 weeks of maker lecture sessions. I look forward to actually getting hands-on with my work. The next time you hear from me, I will have brought forth things from nothing.

2 thoughts on “Genesis”

1. I love that your chosen designs reflect your hobbies and interests. I myself love photography and videography and can see the possibility of saving A LOT of money through 3D printing frame, lens caps, and miscellaneous camera accessories.

I do think 3D printing is a major revolution, but I am still struggling to see how it will become the “stove” in the kitchen rather than the “microwave” (I’m using that metaphor from one of our past readings). I hope this class will give me a better insight to how 3D printing will or will not become a necessity in the future.

2. Hi Ajie,

I really enjoyed the parallel you drew between Genesis and your personal goal of creating through this course! I too am looking forward to making something from nothing– I suspect it will be more challenging than initially expected, but it’s an important skill to develop. I’m glad you found so many ideas for prints that relate to your passion for photography–perhaps at some point, it will be possible to print an entire camera in one go, as well!