What we are reading

Sam W.

I am currently reading the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik. Hoping to swing by Champaign Public tonight to pick up Victory of eagles. The books in the series are:

His Majesty’s dragon
Throne of jade
Black powder war
Empire of ivory
Victory of eagles

The author’s web site has excerpts from all the books.

The series takes place in an alternate history during the Napoleonic Wars where battles are fought by land, sea, and in the air where crews of aviators ride on dragons. It has been compared to the works of Patrick O’Brian (if you are not familiar with the author, one of his works, The far side of the world was turned into the movie Master and commander: The far side of the world starring Russell Crowe).

Last week, I also finally got around to reading Coraline (thank you, Karla, for lending it to me!). I happened to have seen the movie last winter, but I wanted to read the book. Probably some of the most eerie things about it were the illustrations by Dave McKean. His work is also seen in several other Gaiman books including the picture book Wolves in the walls.

Next on the To Be Read list:

Victory of eagles by Naomi Novik

Margarita está linda la mar by Sergio Ramírez: The title is a reference to this poem by Nicaraguan poet Rubén Darío.

What is everyone else reading?

Facebook Twitter Linkedin