While I was very indecisive about what my final project would actually amount to, Abhiniti and I decided to move on with what she dubbed “project mood shirt”.
Essentially, this would read the temperature and humidity of the person wearing the shirt, and based upon the heat index of that level of temperature and humidity, light up a set LED on the shirt to indicate whether the person is too cold, normal, or overheated. One use of this may be to roughly and instantly monitor potential overheating during the summer or during exercise, or, in more severe cases, if a person is becoming too cold, for example during the winter, and is on the way to hypothermia.
Below is the video I took during the final stage of coding the shirt. While it was taken before most of my progress was made, it is essentially the entire circuit that will be sewn into the shirt.
Although I strolled into class a few minutes late, I was able to catch the remainder of the lecture presented by Indiana University’s Makerspace director. It’s really cool to see more areas conducive in instilling a sense of creativity within students open up in colleges around the nation. After the lecture, I was left with an immense sense of pride in the University of Illinois for creating the world’s first business school 3D printing lab. A place in which I, along with many of my fellow Illini, have utilized and continue to do so as a creative hub for various projects and personal endeavors. Particularly, I got to hear how my classmates have used the MakerLab and other resources on campus to help bring their projects to life. I was astonished by the creativity, ingenuity, and passion behind each groups’ progress report.
After each group presented a snippet of their project, we were left to stay in the MakerLab, go to the FabLab, or utilize any other resource to help aide the progression of our project. Since the Arduino is the base of our product, we went to the FabLab. During our time at the FabLab, we learned a lot more about the functionality of the ukulele tuner and made slight adjustments to our existing project. As Annie was heavily researching the Arduino facet of our project, I assisted Johnny in creating the outer piece of the tuner on Fusion 360. The process was quite tricky, but we are now one step closer to where we want to be in terms of design.
In the near future, I look forward to 3D printing the outer piece of the tuner and seeing it completed! Not to mention, I am beyond pumped to see my fellow classmates’ finished products. Also, I hope to continue utilizing the MakerLab and other resources on campus for future projects. Lastly, after having slight difficulty navigating Fusion 360, I want to create more objects to become fully proficient with the software.
This week we focused on working on our final semester projects. It was great to hear the progress of everyone’s work and to see what great ideas people had come up with and are pursuing. Gwen’s heart still fascinates me with its complexity and attention to detail. While Anjali’s idea of an artificial intelligence mini-robot is something I couldn’t even fathom of creating, but the video of the little robot we watched gave me better insight as to what was hoping to be created. I also really liked the idea of a ukelele tuner, I didn’t even know a ukelele needed to be tuned (as I am not musically talented). Whereas the idea of an expanding/retracting cup holder is a great idea for everyday use.
As mentioned before, Harina, Elaine and I will be working on a project to make an insert between your head and your glasses for laying down comfortably while still being able to use your glasses. Elaine has made an awesome second prototype built off of my first one that has little slits that would allow for the piece to stay put more easily. She had made it with the hard plastic as the Ninja flex had not arrived yet.
We were thinking that for our next version (which we will hopefully be printed with the ninja flex material) we need to make the object more dense, as it would have more give due to its flexibility when being leaned against. We believe that increasing the density of the object will allow for more comfort while keeping your glasses in place. In addition to making it denser, we were wondering if instead of slits we should change the shape completely. The shape would be reformed from a hot dog-like shape to more of an egg with a hole through the middle. Of course it would still be ergonomically designed, but it will just take more testing. We will keep everyone updated on how these changes affects our project!