Kathryn Scarim

I am a senior BFA Art Therapy student at Millikin University. My primary focuses are painting and drawing with a secondary in printmaking.

My work transforms the familiar shapes into new conceptually layered pieces. By utilizing repeated line, I build texture and form. I experiment with layering different solid shapes over my chaotic linework- juxtaposing the organic with the geometric, the recognizable with the abstract, and the known with the unknown.  Most recently, I have been working on flattening out and reducing shapes to simple contour line. This method is reminiscent of children’s artwork- honest and unbiased.

I am inspired by a variety of creative sources, but some of the most significant for my work have been Bernd Haussmann and Cy Twombly. What resonates most with me is the artists’ ability to control their chaos, to reach a beautiful simplicity through layering. Haussmann and Twombly are both extremely free with their mark making but this freedom is paired with an easy balance—balance that I am continually searching for and working towards.

scarim_k__edited scarim_kedited