In Response to Philip Gerard

For my upcoming research paper, the topic that I believe I am going to focus on is an intersection between science and technology. More specifically, I am going to focus my research on how the future of space exploration correlates to human development. Like Philip Gerard mentioned in his interview, writing should not be about what you as the author already know, but instead what you really want to find out. I agree with Gerard in this sense because research should be about making discoveries. What is the point of doing research if you as the writer already have all the answers? In terms of my own research topic, sure, I have a bit of my own biases and prior knowledge from my own experiences. However, that does not make me any sort of expert. Through my studies in aerospace engineering, as well as my own interest in the field, I have gained insight into space exploration technology. In order to guard against the assumptions that I know all the answers—which I don’t—I will have to make sure my research paper is effective in separating fact from fiction. My curiosity in this intersection between science and technology will essentially fuel my passion for learning more about this topic.