How is writing changing in the 21st century, now that we can update, edit, and revise writing quickly and at rapid scales? What strategies do online writers use to adjust their writing when they can textually interact with their audiences? How can technical writers, including engineers, account for participatory audiences?
My research focuses on five areas:
- Participatory audience theory and multidirectional communication
- Interface and design theory
- Participatory cultures, including reddit, Amazon reviewing, and online journalism
- Professional and Technical Communication, including engineering writing and engineering research labs
- Computational methods, including web-scraping, data structuring, and web development