Established in 2017, the Science Policy Group (SPG) is a nonpartisan registered student organization (RSO) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC).
Vision: Continued conversation on science policy issues to unify the voices of science, technology, and engineering students in matters of science policy.
Mission: To provide opportunities for emerging scientists and engineers to learn more about policy, get hands-on experience, and network with the larger science policy community.
- Inform members about science policy topics and the legislative process
- Invited lectures from science policy experts or local representatives
- Panel discussions with faculty that have experience with policy advising
- Reading group that teaches members about current topics science policy and government
- Equip members with skills needed to pursue science policy, potentially as a career
- Science Policy Certificate Program
- Fellowship workshops
- Workshops about sustainability & science policy
- Advocate for nonpartisan change in science-related policies at the local and national level
- Call A Representative Day (C.A.R.D.) and Write A Representative Day (W.A.R.D.) events
- Trips to the state capital to meet local representatives
- Petitions to advocate for a specific issue
- Attending town hall meetings