It’s a question we get a lot here in English Advising:
when should one start looking for summer internships?
The answer? Yes.
Which is to say, it’s never too soon to start
- thinking about what kind of a summer internship you want;
- considering your options: can you manage on an unpaid internship or do you need a summer income? Do you need to live at home or can you relocate for the summer?
- researching the existing internship opportunities with companies you know you want to work with;
- following various job boards and seeing what opportunities come up; and
- preparing your resume(s).
English and Creative Writing, unlike some other majors, have no set time-frame for finding internships. How could they? Narrower, more career-focused majors channel Continue reading “When to Start Looking for Summer Internships (Updated for 2018)”
Hansford & Deckert LLP is a boutique, Chicago-based law firm. H&D was founded with the mission of bringing big-law competency to the client’s doorstep. We are looking for motivated interns with strong communication, writing, and research skills. Both of the firm’s founding partners are passionate about offering undergraduates the opportunity to obtain real exposure to the practice of law. Although students will work on projects for clients in the Chicago area, they will be based in the Champaign office and NOT expected to travel to Chicago.
Interns will be exposed to legal research (LexisAdvance) and ongoing client matters. Additionally, interns will also be allowed to sit in on client meetings and participate in client engagement.
This internship requires enrollment (upon receipt of the internship) in ENGL 199-INT, the Internship Seminar: an online one-credit, eight-week class that meets in the second half of the fall semester. The internship will begin before the course does.
- unofficial transcript: there is no GPA requirement
- one-page writing sample: copy and paste one page of any recent writing sample of your choosing
- cover letter: please provide a cover letter detailing your interest in a career in law
Please send all application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, August 31, 5pm.