My Career Path: Human Resources Professional

As an HDFS senior, it is bittersweet looking back at the mark I left both on this department, as well as four amazing years at Illinois. Right now, I am actively applying for jobs and am very excited to begin my career as a Human Resources professional. This past semester, I was lucky enough to begin an internship with Jean Drasgow, Director of Career Services. Each week, the ACES Career Services Newsletter (check your inbox every Monday at 8 am for it). Jean and I work together to create a lead story, biography of students and alum, and current UIUC events and job postings that could be helpful for students. Additionally, I hold drop-in hours for undergraduate and graduate students looking for resume review and cover letter revision. I have gained several valuable skills to aid me in finding a job after college. My ability to work on different platforms is a skill I did not know before – Webtools, Email+; Webforms, Excel, and Word, Handshake, & Box. Beginning an internship remotely is not easy, however, I have strengthened my ability to work autonomously and watch my hard work come to life. I am thrilled to have extended my time with ACES Career Services and continue to work this semester. I am confident that I will have the skills to succeed in a career in Human Resources!

Grace is an HDFS senior with a concentration in child and adolescent development and aspires to work in human resources.