Why HDFS?

When I was a senior in high school applying to colleges, I realized I did not feel drawn towards a major and I originally applied as a psychology major to several colleges, knowing that I was interested in it but didn’t necessarily have a passion for it. An hour before the UIUC early acceptance applications were due in the fall of 2017, I was scrolling through the list of majors and came across Human Development and Family Studies. I was instantly drawn to the name of this major and began looking up what HDFS was and what kinds of careers I could go into with HDFS. I learned that HDFS is a major that focuses on helping and serving others, which is something I’ve always been passionate about. I eagerly chose to apply to UIUC as an HDFS major and wrote a quick essay about why exactly I chose this major. In my essay, I talked about how my aunt is a foster mom and I’ve grown up watching her be a foster mom and it inspired me to want to help children in the foster care system. Applying to UIUC as an HDFS major felt like an impulsive decision at the time, but ultimately it has been one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Since before coming to UIUC, HDFS has always felt like a safe and welcoming community of people that want to support one another and want the best for each other. I’ve met so many amazing peers and professors throughout my time here and I will always be grateful for HDFS for giving me a great foundation and providing me with the most supportive group of people!