A Day in the Life of an HDFS Junior

My name is Grace and I am excited to give you a look into the daily life of a college student, specifically in HDFS! Although every day is a little different, there is still a consistent trend in my day to day activities!

8:30am – Wake up

I usually wake up around 8:30am to attend my 9am class on Monday and Wednesday. I start classes at 11:00am on Tuesday and Thursday but I like to wake up at 8:30am every day to keep my mornings consistent!

9:00am-12:30pm – Class

From 9am to 11am I attend class on Zoom. I have two synchronous HDFS classes (HDFS 290 and HDFS 408). I really enjoy having the opportunity to engage with other students since options are limited due to COVID.

1:00pm – Lunch

At 1:00pm, I enjoy lunch. I often make my own lunch but when I decide to eat out my favorite places on campus to grab a mid-day meal include The Bread Company in Urbana or Noodles and Company!

3:00pm – Class Work and Research Lab

Around 3:00pm, I start my class work for my asynchronous classes. I have quite a few classes without a meeting time, so I like to set aside time to go through the lectures every day. I also use this time to work in my research lab which is the Infant Development Project led by Professor McElwain.

6:00pm – Dinner

Like lunch, I often make my own meal but when I chose to eat out I love KoFusion sushi or Bangkok Thai!

7:00pm – RSOs

Around 7:00pm every night is the time that my RSOs (Registered Student Organizations) meet on Zoom. I am involved in four RSOs on campus and hold two executive board positions! It is a lot of work but very rewarding and helps me learn a lot of skills I can take into my future career!

The rest of my night I spend finishing up homework or making time for friends! Staying busy is something that I love to do but also making time for myself is important. Schedules can get busy in college but staying organized and setting goals can lead you to a successful college career!