From Eating Soup out of a Strainer to Eating Soup out of a bowl: A Metaphor to Describe my Writing Life

img_0021

From eating soup out of a strainer to eating soup out of a bowlIn my metaphor, the Soup is my mind. Whenever I am given a writing assignment, I have an overwhelming number of thoughts and ideas that overflow my mind. As a writer, I often had a hard time getting all of my thoughts out on paper. It was as if my ideas were soup, and I would pour my ideas into a spaghetti strainer by the time I was putting the pen to paper.

img_0024

I love chicken noodle soup so let’s just say my thoughts are  chicken noodle soup to be exact. Chicken noodle soup usually has chunky pieces of chicken and vegetables. Once my ideas are strained only the big chunky pieces of chicken and vegetables are left but there is NO BROTH. The chicken and vegetables represent big ideas but the broth represents the detail.  My essays would be left strained, full of big ideas without any detailed reasoning. 

img_0025

I found a bowl now!! I have discovered my very own version of a rough-rough draft. I just get everything down on paper regardless of how ridiculous or illiterate it may be. By just jotting down all of my ideas as soon as they pop into my head helps me to form a rough draft later on without leaving a single thought out. A rough-rough draft allows me to have not only have chicken, vegetables and broth in a bowl, but also adds a little extra seasoning to my soup called organization. I have found my bowl for my soup and I will never let it go!