Deconstructing musical values – orality and inclusion

June Boyce-Tillman
University of Winchester

Title:

Abstract:
This paper uses a phenomenography of the music experience  – developed by the author (Boyce-Tillman 2000a, 2001a, 2004, 2006b, 2007a) from the work of Dewey (1929, 1934) and  Turner (1969, 1974a & b, 1982) and Foucault/Gordon (1980) –  which examines the internal relationship between the experiencer and the experienced and its diverse awarenesses (Marton and Booth 1998). It will combine this with the theology of Otto (1923) and Buber (1970) – in particular – the I/Thou experience- and the philosophy of Derrida (1972) to examine the hierarchies that characterise the Western classical tradition.  To interrogate this, I shall examine the relationship between the heteropatriarchy of the Christian Church.  Following this analysis I will set out an inclusive, democratic model of music making which I will be illustrate from large scale works I have created for a mixture of orate and literate groups from the local community. It will examine the Value systems underpinning these works and the development of a new aesthetic based on inclusion and community. It will contrast it with the classical value systems. 

Posted in research session