Week 1 Reflection

This past week we had the opportunity of listening to lawyer John Hornick and student Arielle Rausin explain their experiences with 3-D printing and how it will/ already has begun to change the world. It was so cool to me to hear about all of the different opportunities 3-D printing can create from Mr. Hornick’s view, then being able to hear Arielle’s personal view about how her racing glove could allow so many others to have them was amazing to me. I had no idea of the endless possibilities that digital making could create and form anything from racing gloves, to brain models, to jet engines.

I had registered for this class last fall because I wanted to learn how a 3-D printer could operate and maybe I could begin making little plastic models in class one day. I was so glad that these two presentations were on the first day because this class already means so much more to me. Some of these products that can be created could be toys, but others could be the first step in solving a world wide health issue. The ability to at least know a small part about this is what interests me the most about this course. I have very little experience with “making” in the past, I would say the furthest I know would be taking AP computer science in high school my senior year. Mr. Hornick described the benefits and consequences of having this knowledge of digital making and accessibility being open to everyone, and while I do recognize the consequences (especially being away from control), I also realize the benefits and how fortunate we are to learn about this through our business school. I was not expecting to feel this excited, or rather inspired, after just one class, but now I know that it will be the course I am most looking forward to in this new semester.