Study Abroad Course in Vienna, Info session on Feb 6

PS 300 Special Topics: World War I and International Relations Theory

VIENNA, AUSTRIA May 18-June 15 first summer session

Study where it all started!
This summer the political science department will once again offer a study abroad course in Vienna with Prof. Vasquez. This year it is a new course–PS 300: World War I and International Relations Theory in commemoration of the 100th anniversary of World War I. The course counts as an upper-level course in the major and will culminate in a two-day undergraduate research conference in Salzburg at the Schloss Leopoldskron, where the Sound of Music was filmed (see below). The course will be given in the first summer session May 18-June 15 in Austria. Two long weekends provide an opportunity to travel in Europe. Contact Prof. Vasquez for more information at vasqueja@illinois.edu

Extended Application deadline: Feb 10
Info session: Thursday, Feb 6 at 7pm in DKH, room 209
—————-

Since  2014 is the 100th Anniversary of World War I; I am giving a course on:

Instructor, John Vasquez

An analysis of the outbreak and spread of World War I in light of international relations theory and research from the field of peace science. Emphasis is placed on the role of alliances, rivalry, repeated crises, arms races, and territorial disputes and how these affected decision making in individual countries. Students prepare a paper using recent data and historical information.

Study where it all started

This year we will spend three days in Salzburg at the conference center of the Schloss Leopoldskron (see above) where the Sound of Music was filmed.  You will present papers related to the course there.

Optional excursions to Munich, Italy (Florence), Prague, or Budapest

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++