- University Librarian Note
- Cheers for Peers
- Did You Know? A Monthly Factoid from Library Assessment
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility (DEIA) Meeting Minutes
- Collection Development Committee Notes
- Content Access Policy & Technology Meeting Minutes
- Recognizing Excellence
EVENTS AND TRAINING
- Staff Events Calendar
- NISO Webinar: Library as Platform (January 11)
- Library Annual Recognition Event (January 12)
ANNOUNCEMENTS: University Librarian Note
Check back next month for a note from Interim Dean of Libraries and University Librarian Chris Prom.
ANNOUNCEMENTS: Cheers for Peers
To view the full Cheers for Peers submissions please view the Growing People blog.
Library Human Resources is happy to announce this month’s Cheers for Peers submissions. The following Library employees have been cheered by their peers:
- Kim Hutcherson
- Rachael Johns
- Lucy Moynihan
- Dave Pherigo
ANNOUNCEMENTS: Did You Know? A Monthly Factoid from Library Assessment
In October 2022, the Library sent out a Library Service Satisfaction Survey asking students to rate experiences of library services. Question 15 invited respondents to describe how they feel about the Library in one word.
There were 107 answers to this question, but we chose to exclude one that was not intended for library services. Of the remaining 106, 80 were positive, 18 were neutral, and 8 were negative. The most common positive response was “good” (11), the most common neutral responses were “expansive” (3) and “extensive” (3), and the most common negative response was “crowded” (2). In the graphic, each book on the shelf represents a response. Alongside volume count, higher color saturation indicates higher frequency of a word.
Graphic created and text written by Virginia Haverstic, Library Assessment Graduate Assistant.
ANNOUNCEMENTS: Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility (DEIA) Task Force Meeting Minutes
Minutes from past DEIA Task Force meetings are online on the Task Force web page.
ANNOUNCEMENTS: Collection Development Committee Notes
The most recent meetings minutes of the CDC are posted at:
ANNOUNCEMENTS: Content Access Policy & Technology Meeting Minutes
The meeting minutes of CAPT (including workgroup reports) are posted at:
ANNOUNCEMENTS: Recognizing Excellence
New on the Recognizing Excellence blog:
Please share your award, recognition, or grant! To initiate a request for publicity, employees (or their supervisors) should submit this Awards/Recognitions/Grants Publicity Request Form.
FACILITIES: Facilities Update
Tim Newman, Assistant Dean of Libraries for Facilities
For a complete list of projects in planning and construction, please see https://wordpress.library.illinois.edu/staff/facilities/.
- Michelle Self-Ballard – Senior Library Specialist – History, Philosophy, & Newspaper Library – 12/19/2022
- Kristen Blankenship – Library Operations Associate – Central Access Services – 1/3/2023
- JD Tanaro – Library Specialist – Funk ACES Library – resigned 11/30/2022
- Jan Adamczyk – Senior Library Specialist – International Area Studies & Acquisitions & Cataloging Services – retired 12/31/2022
- Bill Maher – University Archivist – University Archives – retired 12/31/2022
- Joe Troy – Web Applications Developer/Architect – Library IT – retired 12/31/2022
HR NEWS: Civil Service Vacancies
- Distribution Clerk – Library Facilities – Decision Soon
- Library Specialist – Ricker Library of Architecture & Art – Decision Soon
- Library Operations Associate – Acquisitions & Cataloging Services – Interviews Soon
- Events Administrator Associate – Advancement – Closes 12/21/2022
- Assistant Distribution Services Supervisor – Library Facilities – to be posted 2023
- Library Specialist – Funk ACES Library (late night) – to be posted 2023
- Library Specialist – Central Access Services – to be posted 2023
HR NEWS: Academic Professional and Faculty Open Postings
- Information Sciences Librarian – Social Sciences, Health, & Education Library, Fac – Sara Benson, Chair
Live on the job board with a closing date of 1/18/2023
- Head, Mathematics & Computational Sciences Librarian – Mathematics Library, Fac – Heidi Imker, Chair
Live on the job board with a closing date of 1/23/2023
EVENTS AND TRAINING: Staff Events Calendar
To see the most up-to-date staff events calendar, please visit https://uiuc.libcal.com/calendar/staff.
EVENTS AND TRAINING: NISO Webinar: Library as Platform
January 11 at 10 AM
Traditionally, the library was a collection of content and services in a physical location – selection, acquisition, curation, access, and preservation services, as well as direct end-user support and education, were all in one place. That’s still the case for print and other physical items, even as libraries increasingly embrace collaborative collection development and sharing
networks. In the digital universe many, if not most, of those functions have moved online – to content and aggregator platforms, to discovery services, and to digital preservation services. The contributors to this webinar will discuss the implications for this shift, including how librarians and platform vendors should engage to ensure the best service for users — the ultimate stakeholders.
Please email email@example.com for login credentials or recordings
EVENTS AND TRAINING: Library Annual Recognition Event
January 12 at 8:30 AM
Libraries will remain closed until 1 PM while this virtual event is happening. The event will have an optional virtual coffee in small groups beginning at 8:30 AM until the event formally starts at 9:15 AM. Our guest speaker will be Dr. Ellen Burts-Cooper. Following her talk, there will be a recognition of service years, new employees, and presentation of the Library Outstanding awards. We encourage everyone to attend. Those who do not wish to attend should work with their unit head to request vacation time or make arrangements with their unit head to work for the unit that morning.
Please mark your calendars and plan to attend this event! We are looking forward to celebrating with everyone!
Zoom information: https://uiuc.libcal.com/event/9956660
If you would like to submit content for the February issue of Library Office Notes, please submit it to Heather Murphy or Tom Teper by January 20, 2022.