100 MB File Size Limit

We recently implemented a 100mb File Upload limit on our enterprise Blackboard environment. We announced the change on January 20th and implemented it on March 1st. I don’t agree with the short time frame from announcement to implementation. I also don’t agree with the reasoning, as published in our KB which states that the reason behind this change is cost. Even though this is 100%  true, I feel like we failed at clearly communicating the benefits and the rationale. We also succeeded in making users angry.

Here’s what I think would make a better rationale for the decision:

• Eliminate storage redundancy and more efficiently utilize existing services. Instructors can now take advantage of the Zoom “record to cloud” option, this will automatically place Zoom recordings into Kaltura “My Media” within a few hours so. There is no longer a need to download/upload the Zoom recordings. Using “record to cloud”, instructors can go to Build Content > Kaltura Media to quickly embed and distribute Zoom recordings on Compass.
  • Promote easier access. The high-speed campus network is no longer available as an option to all students. Illinois Compass 2g is not optimized for distribution of large files. Instead, users will find that using Kaltura to stream videos removes barriers of access for students restricted to low bandwidth internet connections. Additionally, users with low bandwidth will experience better performance downloading large file attachments using the UOFI Box service.
  • Cost. While it’s been building for a while, the recent move to primarily online learning delivery has significantly increased our hosting costs related to transmission and storage of this content.

I sent this to my group and didn’t get any feedback. Radio silence in fact. Well, I said my piece and we’ll leave it at that.