Part-time jobs can give you relevant professional experience while you’re still in college. Check the following sites regularly for openings on campus or in Champaign-Urbana that can help you develop your skills:
- Handshake (you can search this site for local part-time position, as well as internships and full-time jobs)
- Research Park Job Board
- The Virtual Job Board (UIUC)
- The News-Gazette classifieds
Also, check out the available internships; some are paid. Part-Time Positions (Campus and Local) Even if you’re not currently looking for a part-time job, this list of current openings will show you some of the kinds of local and campus part-time work that can advance your long-term career goals.
- Public Relations/Customer Assistance (participant recruiting), Language Acquisition Lab, Dept. of Psychology
- eLearning Assistant, Gies College of Business
- Multimedia Assistant (video), Department of Human Development and Family Studies
- Career Services Paraprofessionals, The Career Center (apply now for a fall job). Position also advertised here.
- Preservation Digital Reformatting Hourly Assistant (undergraduates with a strong interest in librarianship may apply), University Library (link requires logging in to Handshake)
- Instructional Support Assistant, Center for Innovation in Teaching and Learning
- Evening and Overnight Admin Staff, Beckwith Residential Services
- Blog Editor — Educational Technology, Wolfram (link requires logging in to Handshake)
- Afterschool Assistant, Stephens Family YMCA (link requires logging in to Handshake)
Resources for finding full-time job openings:
- Handshake: this University of Illinois resource connects students and recent alumni to employers who are looking to hire Illini.
- Chicago Artists Resource (shows job openings at arts and cultural organizations in the Chicago area)
- Idealist.org (specializes in openings at nonprofit organizations of all kinds)
- Indeed.com (enormous job database)
- USAjobs.gov (database of all federal government jobs, including internships in DC, at national parks, in the Smithsonian museum system, etc.)
- Publishers Marketplace (jobs in the book industry)
- Bookjobs.com (particularly helpful for internships in publishing)
- Support-Driven (jobs in support, particularly in the tech industry–a well paid growth industry for English/CW majors)