Internships give English department majors the opportunity to explore potential careers, practice their skills (writing, research, editing, communications, analysis) in the workplace, and start building professional networks.
Department of English Internships
- Editorial Intern, Journal of English and Germanic Philology (deadline extended)
- Editorial Intern, American Literary History (deadline extended)
Current Campus and Local Internship Opportunities FAQ: English/CW Majors and Research Park Internships (link fixed) Should You Work for Free? (on unpaid internships)
- Strategic Resources Intern (spring 2018), State Farm, Research Park (link requires logging into Handshake)
- Communication Intern (unpaid), Cline Center for Democracy (link requires logging into Handshake)
- Curriculum/Program Development Intern, Illinois Office of Undergraduate Research
- Writing/Editing Internship, ECE Illinois
- Impact Intern (unpaid), Environment Illinois
- Prindable Communications Internship, Illinois Program for Research in the Humanities
- Foundation Intern (Mattoon), Lumpkin Family Foundation (link requires logging into Handshake)
- Internship (unpaid summer internship), Illinois Rebuild Project (link requires logging into Handshake)
- Feature Film Producing Internship (unpaid), Dreamscape Design
- Membership Association Intern, NAAHP (link requires logging into Handshake)
- Editorial interns (mostly unpaid), Tethered by Letters (remote)
- Garner IRC Executive Moves Internship, Research Park (link requires logging into Handshake)
- News/Video Production Intern (unpaid), Center for Innovation in Teaching and Learning (link requires logging into Handshake)
- ATLAS internships (rolling application)
Other Resources for Finding Internships
- Handshake, the database of job and internship opportunities maintained by the University of Illinois Career Center.
- The Virtual Job Board maintained by the Office of Student Financial Aid, which is mostly a resource for part-time jobs but sometimes has internship postings.
- Interested in internships at the Smithsonian? A list of their annual internship deadlines is here.
- This blog post on the 25 companies that pay their interns the most.
- This blog post on writing for video games.
- For opportunities in the publishing industry (many unpaid): Bookjobs.com
Not Sure Whether or Not to Apply? Internships are not the only way to get professional experience. Part-time jobs, involvement in student organizations or publications, and volunteer opportunities can also help you explore potential career paths, build your professional network, and acquire skills. An internship is a good choice if you have reason to believe that the specific organization, the skills you will use, and kind of oversight you get will help you refine your career goals or advance toward them. An internship is not a good choice if your only motivation is the conviction that you should do an internship. Not sure where you stand? Feel free to make an appointment with Kirstin Wilcox (333-4346) to discuss your options. The following are also helpful: