Internships give English department majors the opportunity to explore potential careers, practice their skills (writing, research, editing, communications, analysis) in the workplace, and start building professional networks.
Department of English Internships
- None at this time. Check back at the end of the Fall 2017 semester for opportunities for Spring 2018.
Current Campus and Local Internship Opportunities
FAQ: English/CW Majors and Research Park Internships (link fixed)
Should You Work for Free? (on unpaid internships)
- Digital Media Intern (unpaid), Illini Dad’s Association (link requires logging into Handshake)
- Marketing Design Internship, School of Chemical Sciences (link requires logging into Handshake)
- Operations Management Intern, Abbott Laboratories (Research Park)
- Social Media Intern, Program in Arms Control and Domestic and International Security
- Business Intelligence Intern, Graybar (Research Park)
- Constituent Services Aide (unpaid), State Representative Carol Ammons (link requires logging into Handshake)
- Court Watch Aide (unpaid), State Representative Carol Ammons (link requires logging into Handshake)
- Community Advisory Panel Legislative Aide (unpaid), State Representative Carol Ammons (link requires logging into Handshake)
- Communications and Media Aide (unpaid), State Representative Carol Ammons (link requires logging into Handshake)
- Condition Assessment and Conservation of Photographic Slides Practicum (unpaid), Spurlock Museum (link requires logging into Handshake)
- Editorial Internship, Office of Communications for Enrollment Management (link requires logging into Handshake)
- Digital Marketing Internship, Brunswick Corporation
- Agricultural Communications and Sustainability Specialist, Monsanto, Research Park
- On-Campus Marketing and Advertising Management Internship, Campus Ink Printing (link requires logging into Handshake)
- Marketing and Communications Intern, Division of Nutritional Sciences
- Business Strategy Internship, EnterpriseWorks, Research Park
- Community Management/Brand Management Intern, St. Michael’s Group, Research Park
- Strategic Resources Intern (spring 2018), State Farm, Research Park (link requires logging into Handshake)
- Editorial interns (mostly unpaid), Tethered by Letters (remote)
- ATLAS internships (rolling application)
Other Resources for Finding Internships
- Handshake, the database of job and internship opportunities maintained by the University of Illinois Career Center.
- The Virtual Job Board maintained by the Office of Student Financial Aid, which is mostly a resource for part-time jobs but sometimes has internship postings.
- Interested in internships at the Smithsonian? A list of their annual internship deadlines is here.
- This blog post on the 25 companies that pay their interns the most.
- This blog post on writing for video games.
- For opportunities in the publishing industry (many unpaid): Bookjobs.com
Not Sure Whether or Not to Apply? Internships are not the only way to get professional experience. Part-time jobs, involvement in student organizations or publications, and volunteer opportunities can also help you explore potential career paths, build your professional network, and acquire skills. An internship is a good choice if you have reason to believe that the specific organization, the skills you will use, and kind of oversight you get will help you refine your career goals or advance toward them. An internship is not a good choice if your only motivation is the conviction that you should do an internship. Not sure where you stand? Feel free to make an appointment with Kirstin Wilcox (333-4346) to discuss your options. The following are also helpful: