Watch D.O.G.S.

The school where I’m student teaching has a great program called Watch D.O.G.S, or Dads of Great Students. It is a nationwide program through the National Center for Fathering. Every day, a dad of a student can volunteer in the school as a Watch D.O.G. Most children enjoy having a positive male role model in their lives, but they may not always have one. One of the main goals of the Watch D.O.G.S program is to provide students with positive male roles. My students really enjoy working with Watch D.O.G.S. They are so excited when the dad arrives and then eagerly raise their hands in hopes of working with him. I usually ask the Watch D.O.G. to practice multiplication facts with the students. Many parents in the district work long hours, so they are not able to practice multiplication facts with their children. Therefore, the Watch D.O.G.S benefit students because they can step in and help when other parents cannot do so. Overall, I really enjoy meeting dads through the Watch D.O.G.S. program, and my students love working with them. If you’d like more information about the program, you can visit the following website: https://www.fathers.com/watchdogs/