Get to know your students!

Forming relationships with students is one piece of the puzzle known as classroom management. Students will be more willing to invest in your lessons if you invest in them. I have invested in my students by helping each student individually, incorporating students’ interests into lessons, spending time with students at recess, and watching my students in the school talent show. My students were so excited to see me at the talent show! I think it meant a lot to them that I gave up my free time to support them. Also, my students enjoy spending time with me at recess. They ask me if they can help me grade and pass out papers during indoor recess. They ask me what I think of their newest Shopkins, which are collectable toys and pencil toppers. The students are obsessed with Shopkins, so I try to incorporate them into sentences for grammar lessons as much as possible. The students get really excited when I incorporate their interests into lessons. They are much more motivated to participate in the lessons because I made a connection to their lives. Overall, it’s very important to get to know your students and form relationships with them. Students will likely be more attentive during your lessons and respect you if you have relationships with them.