The First Solo Show: A Memoir By Jake

Jake Hasan
Feb 25th, 2020

So I volunteered to captain the very first solo show of Illini Sports Night because I figured if I failed spectacularly at least the bar would be low for eveyone else to clear. Team player here.

But now that it’s over I think the show we put out on Valentines Day was awesome and I’m proud of the work that we all put in.

No to say that there weren’t issues and kinks but this is still an extremely new project and hiccups are to be expected. You don’t expect an infant to get up and walk right away right? No of course not, all infants fall on their faces sometimes, and so will Illini Sports Night.

But we’re going to learn and we’re going to grow and by the time May rolls around I think we’re gonna have an awesome product for you all that runs as smooth and crisp as anything you’ve ever seen.

Already we have some awesome stuff, I love Shot Clock and no not just because I get to be the buzzer and there’s a little GIF of me (shoutout Ken). I think Nathan has a real grasp on what to make Shot Clock and we’re gonna have a lot of fun with it. I’m excited to see what he comes up with.

Mariah did a great job with  our Illini Story this week, just absolutely crushed the interview with Karen Howell. Giving people a platform to showcase themselves and their personalities is gonna be a lot of fun and give fans some great looks at athletes when they aren’t on their respective court/field/what have you.

So after the first week of solo shows, and the second week well under way, I’ll leave you with this:

Illini Sports Night is gonna be something. I can feel it in my bones. I have total and complete confidence in Mariah, Peyton, Nathan, Patrick, Tristen and all our reporters. And of course Ken in guiding us. Myself too I guess. So keep coming back and tuning in because we’ve got some really really cool stuff coming.