Wesner: “It’s a NEW DAY! Yes, it is!”

Wesner: “It’s a NEW DAY! Yes, it is!”

Peyton Wesner – Producer and Men’s Basketball Reporter
March 7, 2020

Producing is much like I remember from TV 1 class: a lot of work, often under-appreciated and always a challenge.

But, for all intents and purposes, I am very happy with the final look of my show, especially considering the last time I produced was two years ago.

Many events were covered in preparation. I checked out a camera to cover women’s tennis before traveling for Illinois @ Indiana in men’s basketball. I also tag teamed with Professor Erdey on Fighting Illini baseball’s home opener.

What sets my show apart from others is the story presentation. I did not settle for VOs on headlines, rather they included sound bites — making it a VO-SOT-VO. Plus, I produced and voiced my own package (Illinois’ NCAA Tournament hopes), rather than allocating responsibility elsewhere. All in all, the stories were pertinent and graphics were utilized properly (i.e. wrestling seeds for Big Ten Championships).

My contributions include the entire show. I wrote the anchor scripts, edited the b-roll and pieced together segments (minus “Shotclock with Nathan DeHaan”). A lot of credit should be given to Jake Hasan for editing “Shotclock” and I am very appreciative for his efforts.

Ultimately, we will have to see what the future of Illini Sports Night holds. I am confident in my contributions and interested to witness the changes in my colleagues’ mentality. Will anything be different? Time will only tell.

Yet, I can tell you that my effort WILL STILL be the same. That’s because Illini Sports Night is all about beyond-the-field reporting and in-depth stories. And, I will continue to do my best for Illini Sports Night. If others do not take it seriously, that’s fine because I always will.

After all, I’m treating Friday’s show like a fresh start. To quote Big E Langston, “It’s a new day! Yes, it is!” Spring break will bring a rest period and a chance to “clear the cobwebs.” When I return, I’ll be full of excitement and fresh ideas to bring you unique segments and storylines that deserve attention here at the University of Illinois.