Wesner: Illini Sports Night was ‘dream’ come true

Peyton Wesner – Producer and Men’s Basketball Reporter
February 17, 2020

The premiere of Illini Sports Night was the realization of a dream.

I remember discussing with Thomas Polcyn inside Richmond Studio, pondering the logistical steps of launching a weekly sports newscast. Now, over a year later, Professor Ken Erdey has made this a reality.

Although the semester is not even a month old, I have learned so much. A videographer can only get better and, through covering a variety of different sports, I believe my skills have sharpened and improved. Plus, I have enjoyed the freedom to produce post-game wrap packages. With major sporting events or popular teams (in a market), post-game hits are essential for a sports reporter, so the experience is invaluable.

Speaking of my contributions, most — if not all — footage and b-roll appearing in Illini Sports Night’s first episode was captured by me. Furthermore, I also produced the first five minutes of the newscast, which included a package about Illinois sophomore guard Ayo Dosunmu and his injury (edited and voiced by me).

A courtside perspective of Illini Sports Night’s vantage point during Illinois’ battle with Michigan State on February 11, 2020.

Naturally, I feel more comfortable as our producing trio ventures into the second show. While my responsibilities will be less, I am relieved to know other talented videographers will be able to pick up the slack in covering events. For instance, Spencer Nelson was responsibility for capturing women’s gymnastics on February 14 while Tristen Kissack and Blake Landa covered women’s basketball senior day. Now, I could not stay away from checking out a camera and shooting wrestling, which was my twelfth sporting event covered since January 24.

Nevertheless, I know now our videographers are serious about bringing you, the viewers, an inside look to the talented varsity athletics on campus.

After all, Illini Sports Night is all about beyond-the-field reporting and in-depth stories. I will not rest until Illini Sports Night represents this mantra and exceeds my expectations.