A Struggle in Math

At this point I have been able to see the students growing and improving in many ways, which has been exciting.  I have been working one on one with some of the low students in math.  One student really hates math and struggles with many topics.  We are just starting probability and she does pretty well with that.   She hates math so much that she tries in every way not to do it – whether it is by going to the bathroom during class or trying to get me to write for her.  She is very comfortable with me and as great as that is, she seems to be taking advantage of it at times.  She has stressed to me so many times that she hates to do things with the class, like whole group lessons, because they go too fast for her and then she is lost and confused.  But working with her one on one she is able to go at her pace and show me what she knows.  I am learning how difficult it is to work with students with such a variety of abilities.  Math is especially difficult with my class because we have a handful of kids who should be in the higher group and understand concepts quickly.  Then we also have a large group of very low students who struggle a lot.  Unfortunately, there are often such ranges in classes and it is difficult to meet everyone’s needs.