Hospitality: It’s the Turkish way of life

I have yet to come across an unfriendly Turk. The Turkish people have been nothing but hospitable to us while on this trip, and I have realized that it’s not because we are foreigners, but because it is a part of their culture. From the poorest to the wealthiest, the Turkish people will go out of their way to make you feel welcomed.

Numerous times I’ve stopped people on the street to ask them for directions and in every instance they have either shown me the way or, if they don’t understand English, have searched for someone who does to help me. The surprising thing is that they don’t expect anything in return, they are genuinely doing this out of the kindness of their heart…they just want to make you happy and at ease.

Another thing I have noticed is, much like in the Arab culture, the Turks are constantly offering you coffee, tea, juice, or water. Today we had a meeting with the Deputy Mayor of Kocaeli. When we first arrived we were asked what we would like to drink from the choices of Turkish coffee, Turkish tea, water, and pomegranate juice. These are standard selections offered when you’re a guest. Don’t be surprised if you’re even offered these selections while shopping in a store.

As journalists in Turkey, wherever we go we seem to always have a notebook, a pen, a camera…and Turkish drink with us.

2 thoughts on “Hospitality: It’s the Turkish way of life

1. Excellent photograph. Are the customs the same such as not showing the bottom of your feet, not giving someone your back, etc?

2. They don’t have those customs but after speaking with our interpreter, Seyda, she said it is disrespectful to cross your legs when you’re with your family.