Statistics Seminar – Thursday, May 07, 2015

Statistics Seminar

“Overview of a Statistical Genetics and Genomics Research Program”
Dr. Alexander Lipka, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign

Date: Thursday, May 07, 2015
Time: 3:30 PM – 4:30 PM
Location: 165 Everitt
Sponsor: Department of Statistics, Dave Zhao

Abstract:
A statistical genetics and genomics research program should focus on developing new statistical approaches for analyzing genotypic and phenotypic data, establish interdisciplinary collaborations that increase our understanding of the genetic and genomic contributions to phenotypic variation, and provide mentoring opportunities for students and postdoctoral researchers. With this in mind, I review how I use my background in statistical genetics to develop statistical approaches for analyzing genotypic and phenotypic associations, and participate in interdisciplinary projects that focus on increasing the nutritional value of maize grain. Some specific topics discussed include the genome association and prediction integrated tool (GAPIT) R package, my role in developing analytical pipelines to identify loci associated with provitamin A and vitamin E content in maize grain, and the development of java plugins that use information criterion-based model selection. I then discuss some specific research topics I would like to investigate in the future, and highlight relevant collaboration opportunities.

http://illinois.edu/calendar/detail/1439?eventId=32183643&calMin=201505&cal=20150501&skinId=13335