The European Union Center (EUC) serves as the centerpiece for teaching, research, and outreach on Europe and the European Union at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Established in 1998 with support from the European Commission, the EUC would later be designated as a Title VI National Resource Center by the U.S. Department of Education. The European Union Center, along with nine other centers, comprise the Illinois Global Institute.
EUC sponsors academic programs and public engagement activities to foster comprehensive, interdisciplinary, and international perspectives on matters influencing Europe. The University of Illinois European Union Center at Urbana Champaign features affiliate faculty, who teach courses or have research interests relevant to European or European Union studies. There are several University of Illinois Library faculty that are involved with the EUC whose excellence and involvement should be recognized:
- Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe: affiliation at the rank of Professor with the European Union Center effective Spring 2022
- Sara Benson: affiliated faculty member
- Steve Witt: affiliated faculty member
- Paula Carns: affiliated faculty member (with additional involvement in the Translating and Interpreting Program and the Medieval Studies Program)
- Antonio Sotomayor: on MA thesis committee