Metaphor For Writing Process: BAKING A CAKE

Writing is very similar to baking a cake. The first thing you have to do is make sure you have all of your ingredients. For baking this means cake mix, oil, eggs, water, baking pan etc. For writing this means an introductory sentence, a thesis, a claim, evidence, analysis, and the list can go on forever.

Ingredients
Image from pinterest.com

After acquiring all of the ingredients, one is able to start mixing everything together carefully. Keep in mind, you want to mix the cake ingredients so that they mix well when blended. For example, mix dry ingredients together and wet ingredients together. This is the same way I start to mix my “literary ingredients.” I add each element so that it flows well and makes since to the reader.

mixing cake
image from landolakes.com

After mixing you are ready to bake! Baking for me while writing means getting my essay/paper peer reviewed a few times to get a fresh point of view and to make sure it is free of errors. This equivalent to taste testing your batter before putting it in the oven. Just to be extra sure everything comes out right.

Rainbow-Cake
Image from kathrineschwarzenegger.com

Once your cake is done baking it is time to ice! Icing a cake does not make it only look great, but taste great too! At this point, I make sure  that I have a correct bibliography as well as in-text citations to go along with them. This is essentially the icing on the cake.

My writing is similar to baking a cake. It is simply a process, where everything must be done correctly in order for things to come out right.