Week 8: Interviewing!

Say something intelligent about interviewing in response to this post for full Week 8 attendance credit.

5 thoughts on “Week 8: Interviewing!”

1. Interviewing makes me nervous. I think the general anticipation of going into an interview–especially when it means something to you–can be pretty daunting. However, I agree with everyone else’s sentiments too. Being confident and trying to relax is really important. What helps me is to remember that you’re interviewing them as much as they’re interviewing you. If it’s the right fit, it’ll be easy to talk about your accomplishments and to ask questions about the company and what they do and like and want to improve upon, etc. When it feels right, it’ll feel right for both of you and that will give you the confidence you need to kill it. And if it doesn’t go well, it only means there’s something better out there waiting for you.

2. As an introvert who already spends much energy being self-conscious of how awkward I must seem to other people, I find interviewing to be the most intimidating step of the application process. Group interviews are especially daunting. To help de-escalate my nerves before an interview, I find it helpful to ground myself by remembering that the interview will typically be an hour of my day at most and that it will be more like a conversation with anyone else than I anticipate. During an interview, my biggest challenge is overcoming my anxiety and being able to speak about my experiences rather than become too lost in scrutinizing how I must look to my interviewers. Anything that helps to humanize my interviewers is key.

3. I believe the process of interviewing is very intimidating, specifically the preparation process because as I’m getting everything ready, I do not want to under-prepare in one area and mess up. After every interview, not only do I feel a sense of relief, but I also feel very accomplished because I went through with the interview and most times, I feel as if employers appreciate what I bring to table and my work experience. However, just like bnam2 mentions in their response, no matter what type of personality you hold, I believe confidence is key to having a successful interview and hopefully landing your dream job.

4. To be honest, I approach interviews much like I would in a normal conversation with my friends, just amp-ing up the professionalism. Honestly, speaking to an interviewer shouldn’t be nerve-wracking, as you’re just telling them the truth about yourself and why you’d like the position. Being relaxed and amicable certainly helps score points, as well as being YOU, since those who are hiring are looking for people like YOU. They’ll love you, provided that you stay true to yourself, but maintain a respectful and professional atmosphere at the same time.

5. For someone who is rather quiet, I think confidence is crucial when getting interviewed. I don’t want to seem cocky or oversell myself that it seems insincere and fake. However, there is a benefit in going into an interview with my head held high. I remind myself of all of my accomplishments! Whether I get the job or not, I got an interview for a reason so I want to showcase that I am qualified and capable of the position that I applied for. I don’t want to walk into an interview already thinking that I’m not going to get it. Being confident can translate well in an interview.