Thoughts along the Way

I think many of you will agree with me that the semester has really flown by. I think we all have a tendency to crash during this week off school for Thanksgiving and then, before we know it, the last few weeks of the term are behind us.

I’ve seen a great deal of growth in many of our students, both in my classes and studio and across the program, though certainly not without some struggles, which certainly go with the territory. I’ve really enjoyed watching all of it, being a part of it and, more and more, documenting at least some of it, which leads me to my thought. I’ve been working pretty hard on video editing and, while in no way do I claim any real expertise, I see, without a doubt, the great importance in today’s world, of learning how to record and edit audio and video. I definitely feel like it’s more of an extension of me, and becoming a part of what I do, both teaching and playing, and I would just encourage you, if you aren’t doing so already, to learn to use technology in your practice. We can learn a lot, at times, practicing in front of a mirror, so this is an extension of that. I sense that doing little recordings of forum, Iron Post, etc. on a regular makes people play just a little bit better, at least that’s my hope. It’s always been said that you never know how might be out there listening to you, and now this is more true than ever.

So, congratulations to all for your hard work and practice, and I look forward to the coming weeks, with concerts, recitals and juries.