Bossa Nova Guitar

I thought I’d write a little about Bossa Nova. As many of you surely know something about the style I just will say a couple of basic things about it. First of all, I would see Bossa Nova, which kind of took the U.S. by storm in the early 60s with Joao and Astrud Gilberto and of course Stan Getz as completely distinct from afro cuban music, a distinct approach that derived  form earlier Brazilian styles, in particular samba. The heartbeat is really a steady pulse on 1 and 3 with various upbeat patterns added. Some people talk about a Bossa Nova clave, but that can be confusing for the student. First of all, here’s the original Gilberto/Getz recording of Girl from Ipanema.

Listen to the way the guitar part, played by Joao Gilberto evolves. It begins with most basic one bar bossa pattern, with 3 hits, one two and the and of three, over half notes played with the thumb. But, by the time Getz comes in, it more of a two bar pattern.

I found this beautiful 1983 recording of Gilberto doing the beautiful tune Estate live where he stays with the most basic pattern most of the way through.

Here are several common patterns you can practice. Perhaps work them separately at first, but get each pattern comfortable so you can play it over half notes in the thumb. You’ll be on the way to developing a better Bossa Nova feel. For a deeper look into this I highly recommend Nelson Faria’s wonderful The Brazilian Guitar Book for a very full study.

This is pretty important information for all jazz guitarists, so check it out. When you’re playing in a group with a bass player, you can hold down the thumb or leave it out, but the independence you develop here will make you a much better comper.

Here’s one more quick one , just one of my all time favorites Brigas Nunca Mais with Elis Regina and Antonio Carlos (Tom) Jobim.  An updated (for the 1970s!) version of the feel.