Faculty Feature Dr. Reuben A. Buford May

Tell us about your role on campus and what lead you to this career path

I am a professor of sociology conducting research on race and ethnicity, sociology of sport, and urban life. I always say that I didn’t find sociology, but sociology found me. As a young boy, my teacher introduced me to the idea of keeping a daily journal. I was 11 years old at the time. Over the years I’ve always been keen on observing people and documenting my thoughts. One year I met a charismatic sociology professor who said to me that he thought I was smart and I should “go get a Ph.D.” So I took him up on it. I found that there was a natural fit between what I had been doing all of my life (writing in a journal and being self-reflective about behavior) and what I was being introduced to in sociology. So now I combine the practice of participating, observing, documenting and conducting sociological analysis. I’ve written three books, but my favorite by far is Living Through the Hoop: High School Basketball, Race, and the American Dream. There is something inspiring about understanding how so many young men connect with the sport as a means of surviving some challenge. This is only my second year at U of I (I was previously at Texas A&M University), but I’m looking forward to continuing my research efforts at the same high level once the pandemic has slowed.

What behavior or personality trait do you most attribute your success to, and why?

The trait I think that is most important for success, particularly in my case, has been persistence. It is inevitable that you will meet with challenges as you pursue your ambitions. Many people, when confronted with challenges, simply change course. Those who have any measure of success have had to work hard and be persistent through challenges. Of course, it’s also helpful to be disciplined and willing to engage in the mundane activities that help you have success. For example, like waking up daily at the crack of dawn, clearing your mind, and thinking about what you hope to achieve. And doing this even on days you don’t want to.

What is a work-related accomplishment that you’re really proud of?

A work-related accomplishment that I am really proud of was being named a finalist for the Robert Foster Cherry Award for Great Teaching. It is a national award given biannually for the national college teacher of the year. It was a wonderful opportunity to be considered among the best professors, not only at your university but across the country. And although I didn’t win the award, being a finalist was profoundly inspirational to me as it forced me to reflect on the many students whose lives I had impacted through my teaching and mentorship. This is a responsibility that I continue to take seriously. It’s more like a calling.

What song or type of music do you listen to that puts you in the best mood and why?

The music that puts me in my best mood is my own music. I create music and rap lyrics and have been doing so for many years. I love to perform the songs on various street corners wherever I go. I know strange right? (Some of you might have even seen me around Champaign). It is a wonderful outlet for blowing off steam or relaxing. It is normally something I get to do as a reward for working hard all day. Surprisingly, I have a little fan base. They get it. http://www.stuckey.website

Facebook Twitter Email