Why Data Scientists Matter: Explore how the convergence of Big Data, computer science and statistics is leading to a revolution and a demand for people who can make sense of it all.
Food Analytics? : Illustrating that the Big Data trend is leaving no area untouched, researcher Lada Adamic has developed an algorithm to predict how successful a recipe will turn out. She can predict with 80% accuracy how many stars a recipe will receive on a popular recipe site. Until she develops a technique to predict the likelihood of an inept chief being able to successfully prepare a recipe, some of us may want to just stick to admiring her research papers and leave the cooking to the pros.
Nate Silver Answers Your Questions on Reddit: Everyone’s favorite prognosticator took to the popular website Reddit to answer reader submitted questions. Read this article to find out his thoughts on teacher evaluations and why politics is harder to forecast than baseball.
Passed along by our friends at State Farm. The article lists our MS Analytics concentration in the Top 20 and mentions the MAGnet Program.
One of the most notable activities in our department for graduate students is the Bohrer Workshop. A subset of the graduate students are selected to give a quality presentation of their current research in statistics. This is an excellent opportunity for undergraduate students to get a peek at what might lie ahead if you too choose to pursue an advanced degree. You don’t have to be there the whole day. Just pick one or maybe two that sound interesting. Schedule below.
- Develop realistic mathematical models of individual neurons for applications in health and disease
- Create sophisticated statistical analysis tools for applications in human cognition and neurological disorders.
- Create neural network models of brain circuits underlying perception, action, and cognition.
- Build brain-computer interfaces that allow paralyzed people to control computers or robotic devices
- Develop neuromorphic technologies that mimic how the brain solves complex problems such as vision, navigation, and movement control