CONGRATULATIONS graduates. Stay encouraged in your journey!
Welcome to the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign!
Academic Outreach for Fall 2022, Grainger F-1 International Students:
Early Academic Outreach is in progress for Grainger Engineering students enrolled during Fall 2022! Early Outreach is designed as a pro-active, academic intervention to support student success. Students are encouraged to meet with Grainger Engineering Department Chief Advisors or a College Undergraduate Programs Office (UPO) Advisor or Dean to share academic updates, resources, and opportunities. College UPO Advising is available Monday-Friday via Express Advising or scheduled appointments. Meet with Department or College Advisors here: https://advising.grainger.illinois.edu/advising/meeting
Fall 2022 – International Undergraduate Student Orientation:
Welcome to the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign! This orientation is for new international undergraduate students to assist with acclimation to campus life and culture. Speakers from across campus will share information resources to support your success at the university. All orientation sessions will have the same content and speakers.
- Monday, August 15, 2022 (9:00 – 10:00 am, CST) – REGISTER FOR AUG. 15
- Tuesday, August 16, 2022 (12:00 – 1:00 pm, CST) – REGISTER FOR AUG. 16
- Wednesday, August 17, 2022 (3:00 – 4:00 pm, CST) – REGISTER FOR AUG. 17
Chancellor’s Welcome Reception
- Thursday, August 18, 2022 (2:00 – 3:00 pm, CST) – Krannert Center for the Performing Arts (500 S. Goodwin Ave., Urbana)
Grainger F-1 International Students:
All F-1 undergraduate students must be registered full-time (minimum of 12 credit hours) or be approved for a Grainger Underload and ISSS Reduced Course Load by the 10th day of classes.
- F-1 iSTART Requests: Choose “Engineering Undergraduate” as the approver for all requests EXCEPT CPT. Allow up to 15 business days for review or approval of iSTART requests. Additional time may be needed for administrative processes. Contact ISSS as soon as possible for additional F-1 Visa status and inquiries.
- F-1 Change of Status: 1. Complete ISSS iSTART request. 2. Allow up to 15 business days for review or approval of iSTART requests. Learn more here: https://isss.illinois.edu/students/studforms.html
- F-1 Resuming Studies/Re-entry: 1. Submit an ISSS iSTART request. iSTART requests will not be reviewed until AFTER approval of Grainger College re-entry. 2. Complete a College UPO Re-entry/Resuming Studies Request. 3. Wait for review and approval via UPO welcome letter. 4. Allow up to 15 business days for iSTART review after College re-entry welcome letter. Learn more here: https://advising.grainger.illinois.edu/course-registration/readmission-resuming-studies
- F-1 Program Extensions: F-1 Program Extensions are not designed for additional majors, minors, research, internship, or post-graduate opportunities. 1. Meet with UPO Records Coordinators, Bob Porter or Jamie Hannah via EXPRESS ADVISING for graduation/DARS review. 2. Submit an ISSS iSTART request. 3. Allow up to 15 business days for review or approval of iSTART requests. Learn more here: https://isss.illinois.edu/students/studforms.html
- F-1 Reduced Course Loads: All F-1 students must maintain full-time status (minimum of 12 credit hours) unless approved for an ISSS Reduced Course Load (RCL). 1. Submit a Grainger Underload request via Engineering Advising website. 2. Submit an ISSS, RCL iSTART request. 3. Allow up to 15 business days for review or approval of iSTART requests. Learn more here: https://advising.grainger.illinois.edu/course-registration/overload-underload
- F-1 Medical Reduced Course Loads: 1. Contact International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) for review and approval. Learn more here: https://isss.illinois.edu/students/f1j1/index.html
- ENG 310 or CPT Internships: Department Chief Advisors are liaisons for CPT approval. To request CPT, students must upload proof of ENG 310 in the ISSS iSTART application. 1. Review CPT guidelines. 2. Complete CPT request. 3. Wait for review and approval. 4. Contact Brenna Conway (firstname.lastname@example.org) for additional ENG 310 or CPT inquiries. Learn more here: https://grainger.illinois.edu/academics/graduate/cpt
- F-1 Optional Practical Training (OPT): 1. Review ISSS OPT guidelines. 2. Submit iSTART OPT request. 3. Allow up to 15 business days for review or approval of iSTART requests. Learn more here: https://isss.illinois.edu/students/employment/f1opt.html
- Undergraduate Withdrawals or Cancellation: 1. Meet with a Grainger UPO College Advisor or Dean via Express Advising or scheduled appointment. Learn more here: https://advising.grainger.illinois.edu/course-registration/withdrawals
- NOTE: For additional F-1 Visa inquiries, contact International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS): https://isss.illinois.edu/
Campus-wide ISSS Reminders:
- Enhanced Advising Options: ISSS is now offering virtual advising sessions!
- Express Advising: Mondays and Fridays from 1:30pm-3:30pm CST.
- For more information and log in accessibility, please visit the ISSS calendar.
- Expedite Requests: ISSS cannot honor expedite requests.
- F-1 students interested in off-campus work authorization: Visit the ISSS website for additional information including recorded off campus work authorization workshops. Be sure to watch relevant workshops before applying for CPT, OPT, or the OPT STEM Extension.
- International student travel: If you will travel internationally during your program, you are required to have a valid travel signature on your most recent I-20/DS-2019 document when you reenter the United States.
- Please check the ISSS website for more information on F-1 / J-1 travel
Spring Undergraduate Research Opportunities for International Students!
Learn about undergraduate research opportunities for international students! Special Guests include: Dr. Natasha Mamaril, Director of Illinois Scholars Undergraduate Research (ISUR) program and Coordinator of Grainger Undergraduate Research and Bioengineering Scholar, Ege Onal. ENGINEERING EXCELLENCE: Enhancing International and Domestic Student Success through Academic, Professional, and Leadership Development!
Date & Time: To Be Confirmed
Location: Virtual Zoom
Sponsored by: Engineering International Student Programs and Engineering Undergraduate Research
Learn more here: https://grainger.illinois.edu/research/undergraduate
Join EISP @ “Sence You Went Away” 9/11 Memorial Concert
Want the college to help you out financially? Come apply to possibly get some scholarships from the college!
Are you U Talents we are looking for?
Join in Unilever China summer intern program to be the U talent gaining valuable career experience!
Come and join Unilever Leaders Internship Program for:
✓ Leading and challenging projects to gain whole business overview
✓ Frontline work to dig out function insight behind data and facts
✓ With buddy and mentors to level up you career capability
“The renowned University of Illinois Black Chorus directed by Dr. Ollie Watts Davis is delighted to share with you a world performance of “Optimistic“, introduced by Gary Hines and the Sounds of Blackness and brilliantly arranged by Trey McLaughlin. Celebrate the innumerable contributions of Black Americans to the cultural landscape of the world.” Join us for SYMPOSIUM XV!