The Image of Research is a multidisciplinary competition celebrating the diversity and breadth of graduate student research at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Graduate and professional students are invited to submit entries consisting of an image and brief text that articulates how the image relates to the research. Entries will be judged by a multidisciplinary panel for:
- Connection between image narrative and research
- Visual Impact
The Image of Research at Illinois was inspired by the Image of Research competition at the University of Illinois at Chicago. Examples of winning entries at UIC are:
- “Threshold” by Joshua Albers, New Media Arts
- “A Nanoscale Forest Seen Through a Big Lens” by Khairi Reda, Computer Sciences
- “Crystals: Clarity in Refraction” by Akshay Pandey, Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics
- “Bartlett Incusion” by Maged Guerguis, Architecture
- “Ileum Skyline” by Mark Lloyd, Biological Sciences
- “Hewn Memories: The Lesser- Known Ruins of Rural Greece” by Rebecca Seifried, Anthropology
First prize: $500
Second prize: $300
Third prize: $200
Honorable mentions: $100
Finalists will also compete for a People’s Choice award. More details to come!
Awards will be presented at a reception on April 9 in conjunction with the 2nd Annual Graduate Student Appreciation Week.
All images submitted will be included in an online exhibit hosted by the University Library.
The Image of Research is organized by the Scholarly Commons of the University Library and the Graduate College and is supported by a generous gift to the Scholarly Commons from the Division of Intercollegiate Athletics.