The Heart and Stomach of a King

“She was a woman ruler, a “female-king” who had also to balance the variety of demands on her for a religious reform”.  pg. 26

I found this quote to be very powerful as it describes Queen Elizabeth as a “female-king”. The term “female-king” is very significant because she was a ruler in a time where only men were seen as able to be strong rulers. When a woman is in power, she is usually regarded as a Queen. However, Queen Elizabeth is being referred to as a “female-king” in this quote because she is being identified as a woman who is able to be as strong as a King and do a man’s job. This also recognizes that she faced a great challenge in ruling during the time of religious conflict, where she was also expected to be a religious leader. When people think of Queen Elizabeth today, many people do not realize how difficult that role was.

One thought on “The Heart and Stomach of a King

1. I also wrote about this topic, although not this quote. I think that how she used different titles in different social settings was very clever of her.