AFROTC Program Requirements Overview
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) or Parkland College
Whether you plan on attending either the University of Illinois or Parkland college, your path to becoming an Air Force officer starts with following the steps below.
1) Apply to the University of Illinois or Parkland College*.
2) Get accepted.
3) Contact Detachment 190 to set up an appointment. This is optional, but encouraged. At this appointment, you will meet with one of the cadre members that can answer any of your questions, and give you more information of how ROTC and college lives align. These can be scheduled during University visit days to get more out of your trip.
4) Enroll at your selected institution.
5) Freshmen: Register for AFAS 111: Heritage and Values of the United States Air Force and AFAS 102: Leadership Laboratory
Sophomores: Register for AFAS 111: Heritage and Values of the United States Air Force; AFAS 221: Team and Leadership Fundamentals; and AFAS 102: Leadership Laboratory
6) Attend the Air Force New Student Orientation Program (NSOP) at the Armory, during move-in week. Details will be emailed to you after registering for class. This is a voluntary event, but highly encouraged, where you and your parents can come in to meet the cadre and current cadets, who can answer any questions you have.
7) Later in the week a second voluntary event, Ignition Training, will walk you through the basics of being a cadet, and begin your journey to becoming an Air Force officer. Additional details will be emailed to you after registering for class.
If at any point you have questions, feel free to contact Detachment 190 via phone, email or to set up an appointment.
*Parkland College students must have plans to transfer to UIUC, as it only offers the first 2 years of AFROTC curriculum. This application is called the Parkland Pathways and applications open up March 5th 2022 until April 5th 2022.