Aha moments Module 3: Managerial issues in e-learning

I really enjoyed the two weekly videos. Steve Jobs amazed me by telling that he didn’t use to have committees in Apple and the directors used to meet once a week for 3 hours to address the main problems and decisions. And it was really wise to think that if HR hires great people, leaders must to allow them to make decisions. On the other hand, Jack Welch point of view about HR, looking at the HR role as one of the two most importat roles of the company, made me proud of my role. We are the driving force behind the future of the team, fitting the best players and sitting in every meeting to be involved in each decision. I loved both point of views and agree with both of them.

On the other hand, following Khan, Managing E-learning, Chapter 3 and Bates, and Bates, Planning and Managing Courses and Programs, Chapter 3, my Aha moments were:

1. The P3 continuum -People, Process, Product- methodology for managing e-learning initiatives. It was really clear for me to learn about the different roles of a project, and how one person can have different roles depending on his/her skills, experience, background and interests.

2. I really enjoyed to play the role of the e-learning manager for the pharmaceutical organization, to address managerial issues and imagine how could we solve some of the daily basis we can have. Problems that in the most of the times have people involved so we need to take care of them to engage people and allow their development and results.

3. My last Aha moment was the key points to have in mind to deliver great courses following Bates and Khan:

a. Assess audience needs based on leaders, customers and employees point of view to deliver the right e-learning programs.

b. Have a clear understood mission, vision, values, purpose of the e-learning department aligned with the company ones.

c.  Permanently monitor quality and the program schedule, clearly following each milestone defined and deadlines and give feedback each time it is required.

d. Involve in the testing phase actual employees, interns and customers and allow the team itself be involved in this phase to clearly deliver the right and expected product.

e. Celebrate achievements and keep a recognition program for the team in order to incentivize the goals. accomplishment and their engagement with the project