Results of My Behavior Intervention Plan

Graph and Data Sheets

Because I was not the one responsible for keeping data all throughout the day I didn’t have data sheets written but a google doc form that data was entered directly into which then immediately generated it into the graph.

Results

Overall the frequency of aggression has decreased over the semester. There was a point in the semester in early February where his behaviors dramatically increased. At this point in time we also changed his schedule he had been used to for several months. Since the initial extinguish burst, his aggressive behaviors decreased and his aggression towards peers stopped completely. Right now, we are beginning to transition him to his new school for next year. Because of this big transition it would be expected to have an increase of behaviors until he understands and feels comfortable with the new schedule.

Discussion

The hardest part of implementing this intervention was ensuring data collection was consistently occurring. We were relying on seven different people to collect data, the collection procedure had to be one that everyone understood and agreed to participate in. With the intensity and frequency of his behaviors being high sometimes the adult would be managing behaviors and then forget exactly how many occurrences of aggression happened. However, even though the data collection procedure wasn’t perfect, I still think it was accurate enough to say that the intervention was a success.

One of the main reasons I think the intervention was successful was that the supports in place met JJ’s needs while playing on his strengths. He is good with visual cues, so having a visual schedule that he had consistent access to proved to be successful. In addition, he does well with consistent expectations, so when everyone on the team was consistent with expectations, he performed better.

He does not do well with change, especially when it is explained to him only orally. If change is presented visually with time allowed for him to prep for change, he has a much higher success rate. Verbal prompts, in general, cause more confusion than clarification for him. According to the data, the decrease of aggressive behaviors correlates with the decreased use of verbal prompts.

Published by

Kate Myers

I am in my last semester at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. I'm studying special education and my practicum placement for this semester is the Unit 4 Autism team in Champaign.